A. Key word: Conquers
B. Key events:
- 12 Tribes
C. Key verse (to memorize): 1:8
D. Purpose: God is faithful to the covenant
- Gen. 17:4-8 This is my covenant with you ….8. the whole land of Canaan,
- Joshua 11:23 23 So Joshua took the entire land, just as the LORD had directed Moses, and he gave it as an inheritance to Israel according to their tribal divisions. Then the land had rest from war.
E. Who is Joshua?
- An aide: Numbers 11:28 Joshua son of Nun, who had been Moses’ aide since youth
- Exodus 24:13 Then Moses set out with Joshua his aide, and Moses went up on the mountain of God.
- A leader: One of the twelve spies who were leaders of the Israelites (Num 13:3). Joshua is from the tribe of Ephraim. His original name is Hoshea. Moses changes his name to Joshua. (Numbers 13:8,16)
- A warrior: Fought the battle with Amalekites at Rephidim (The first battle after Israelites left the Egypt) – Exodus 17:8-15
- A successor: Deut 34:9
1. Chapter 1-12 Israel Conquers the Land 7 years
a. Chapters 1-5 Preparation for conquest
- Chap 1. The Lord commands Joshua to be strong and courageous (1:6,7,9)
- Chap 2. Joshua sends two spies to Jericho
- Who hid the spies sent by Joshua? Rahab (2:1)
- Chap 3-4. Crossing the Jordan
- Chap 5. Circumcision at Gilgal and celebration of the Passover
b. Chapters 6-9 The Central campaign
Which cities were destroyed in this campaign? Jericho and Ai
c. Chapter 10 the Southern Campaign
d. Chapter 11 the Northern Campaign
2. Chapter 13-24 Israel Divides the Land
- Which tribes settled to the east side of the Jordan? 22:1 the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh.
- Chap 23-24 Joshua’s final challenges to God’s people
- Remind them of what God has done. (23:3-5)
- Command them to serve God. (23:6, 24:14)
1. What God has done in your life that has fulfilled His promise?
2. When you are weak and discouraged how did you gain strength from God?
3. What can you do to respond to the faithfulness and love of God?